FEATURED SYNAGOGUE - AUGUST 2018 

 

 

2013 View of the former Temple Beth Israel - now Cutler Plotkin Jewish Heritage Center.

Image Courtesy of Wikipedia User: 'Visitor7'

 

 

Congregation Beth Israel

Scottsdale, Arizona

 

The oldest Jewish congregation in Phoenix is Temple Beth Israel established in April 1920 by 38 Jewish residents. The cornerstone for their first synagogue at 122 East Culver Street was laid in October 1921. An adjacent annex dates to 1930. The historic building now forms part of the Cutler Plotkin Jewish Heritage Center of the Arizona Jewish Historical Society having been purchased by the society during 2001-2002. In 2010 after a 2.5 million dollar restoration and expansion, the new center officially opened to the public. The building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Congregation Beth Israel sold the Culver Street building in 1949. The cornerstone of their second temple at 10th Avenue and Flower Street was laid in 1948. A cultural and educational wing was added in 1967. Their present 45,000 square foot Contemporary style temple at North 56th Street and Shea Boulevard was built in 1997. The Flower Street temple still stands and is home to the Osborne Campus of Phoenix College.  Please visit the congregation's website HERE. The Cutler Plotkin Jewish Heritage Center website is HERE

 

The Culver Street temple, post 1949.

Image from the Congregation Beth Israel website, "History" page.

 

 

The Flower Street temple, ca. late1960s -

Image from the Congregation Beth Israel website, "History" page.

 

 

Present Scottsdale temple of Congregation Beth Israel 2009

Courtesy of Wikipedia User: 'Bjweeks'

 

 

 

Home

2018  Julian H. Preisler