Agudath Achim - Beth Israel Congregation
225 North High Street - Belleville, Illinois
Beth Israel Temple was established in 1913 and their first synagogue was dedicated in 1918. The current synagogue was built in 1941. It is of simple design combining some traditional and eclectic elements and also design elements of the late Art Deco/Streamline Modern style. In 1903 the Orthodox Congregation Agudas Achim was established in East Saint Louis, Illinois. In 1986 the congregation closed and sold their 1962 synagogue building. The group later merged with Beth Israel Temple. The present-day congregation is known as Agudas Achim - Beth Israel and has about 35 families. It is an independent un-affiliated congregation.
From: "American Synagogues: A Photographic Journey" 2008
© 2008-2014 Julian H. Preisler - All Rights Reserved